Monday, March 2, 2009

A Few Things I've Learned So Far

In our week long training they told us that Korea is dynamic. It is completely normal for things to change on a moments notice and we should not be suprised by that. Today is my second day of school and I have not been in a classroom yet. I don't think I will see the classroom until the end of the week, at the earliest. Jill and I are getting settled in Busan, but we have a long way to go. When we arrived at our schools we were told that we had two seperate studio apartments instead of one 1 bedroom apartment. My school (Daesin Elementary school in the Seobu districy of Busan), is currently looking for a new place for us. Meanwhile we are tring to get internet, cell phones, and students. This is why we have been somewhat off of the communication grid. I have some time today for a short post on some things I have learned so far, hopefully pictures will come soon.

1. Largie - When in doubt add an "ie" to the end of an English word to make it Korean. This is similar to what many of us do to make something spanish by adding an "o". So, instead of a size Large, it becomes size Largie. Orange becomes Orangie and so on. This has greatly helped my communication.

2. Bery Largie - For those of you wondering why I said Large instead of Medium, it is because that is the size I wear over here. That's right, in Korea, I am a large man. I have a friend here that weighs just over 200 lbs and is 6'1 and is hard pressed to find anything that fits him. I have lucked out in shoes since I happen to be a 280. This is the largest size most stores carry (10.5 US). HoweverI am also a size 45 depending on what shoe I pick up. In coats I am either a Largie, 100, or 48. So much for standardization. Good news is, most of the clothes are inexpensive.

3. Bring your Tech 9 - Korea is a very safe country with a low crime rate, so you don't need a semi automatic tech 9, but you will need to bring your technologically advanced 9 year old. Yesterday all of the new teachers were introduced to the school through the morning video announcments. I was waiting in line to be announced, looking into the room where the principal was being filmed. All I could see was the principal and one of the monitors that showed the live shot. As each new teacher was introduced the line got shorter and I made it closer to the control room. When I finally made it into the control room I expected to see a couple of grown men on some sort of AV team. Instead, I saw about five 3rd and 4th graders in front of cameras and editing equipment. They all got big smiles as they turned and waved at me. I could not help but think that America has lost any sort of technology war that may be fought in the future. Everything is wired here (except for our apartment). Cell phones work in subways (unlike New York), Doughnut shops have electronic sliding glass doors, and they let their children use equipment we would be too afraid they would break in the U.S.

Soju is a social lubricant - People like to drink in Korea. I have had a few converstions with people who say they don't like to drink. Right after that they will tell me they "just like to have some beer or wine with firends." I went out for lunch yesterday with the Principal, Vice Principal and some of the teachers. After everyone had sat down, the principal started walking around the room and pouring everyone some alcohol (not sure what it was, but it was delicious). At one point, one teacher said she did not drink, so he said he would only give her a little bit. Halfway through the meal the V.P. made the rounds filling everyones glass. Now I know that there are a number of buisness people that will have a cocktail at their lunch hour or during a business meeting, but this is the first time I have heard of people drinking at lunch before they go back to the second half of thier day to work with children. Soju is the alcohal of choice, it is a vodka like grain alcohal that is unbelievably cheap. Makeju is their word for beer and would be the 2nd runner up to soju. Here is why it is so importnant. The Korean people I have met seem to be pretty shy, but once you start having a glass of something with them they quikly open up.

I think I am supposed to do something now so I will have to continue this later. Much peace.

2 comments:

Lanie said...

Great blog Kev! It made me laugh anyways! ;)

. said...

i will have to try the "largie" trick... great advice!